End-of-year work commitments, family gatherings, dinners that need to be made, houses that need to be cleaned, presents that need to bought – we can all agree right now is a busy and stressful time of the year!
It may seem silly that we are suggesting you make room in your schedule for self-care. But making a little time for yourself will help you feel your best – a must when it comes to tackling that to-do list.
Here are nine ways to fit self-care into your busy schedule.
- Indulge in your favorite activity. Whether it’s reading a book, cooking, or getting crafty, make time for the things you enjoy – even if it’s just for a few minutes a day.
- Get outside. Even if you despise the cold, a little bit of Vitamin D goes a long way (especially when it comes to boosting immunity). Bundle up and take a short stroll through the neighborhood.
- Rest up. Lack of sleep can affect daily activities and play a negative role when it comes to your mood. And right now, there’s no time to be in a bad mood! According to sleep.org most adults should get between seven and nine hours of sleep.
- Stay active. Not only is exercise a mood booster, it also helps to reduce stress, prevent weight gain and increase energy levels. There are many ways to fit in exercise right at home and you only need less than 30 minutes a day. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Practice Yoga. According to Yoga Journal, “spending time on your mat can benefit your brain, heart, and bones and even change the expression of your genes.” Among other things, it can help boost immunity, manage stress and enhance memory. And it feels nice to get in a good stretch.
- Cozy up. Something else that feels nice – grabbing a cozy blanket and reading a book or watching your favorite show. In fact happiness researchers have found that hygge, which originated in Denmark and is described as “creating a warm atmosphere and enjoying the good things in life with good people,” has many physical, emotional and social benefits.
- Take a hot bath. Just imagining a bathtub filled with your favorite salts and maybe lighting some candles, invokes that feeling of pleasure. A good soak actually has many benefits including elevating your mood, getting a better night’s sleep, and relieving muscle pain.
- Meditation. A few minutes in the morning is an easy way to de-stress and set your intentions for the day. Taking this time can help you gain a new perspective, manage stress, increase self-awareness, focus on the present, and much more.
- Regular massage. Not only does a massage feel so good (a hot stone massage is heavenly, especially this time of year), it will help you relax and de-stress! Studies have shown a significant decrease in heart rate, and systolic and diastolic blood pressure in as little as 10 to 15 minutes after a chair massage!
We want to help keep you healthy, relaxed and happy all winter long! Add a massage to your self care routine by booking your appointment online at one of our two convenient Balanced Body Therapeutic Massage Lehigh Valley locations.